Cabin Fever Challenge – Cyberpunk
28 March 2026 09:58 amThe first rule of gun safety is to have fun.
OK, so that is not (quite) true but having fun certainly encourages one to shoot more and shooting more is one of the tools of better performance. What could be more fun that a cyberpunk bullpup space gun?
I played the R. Talsorian Games “Cyberpunk” back when the corporate-controlled dystopian hellscape was still in the far, far future of six years ago. Back then, bullpup was going to BE that future and from RPGs, to “Ghost in the Shell”, to “Johnny Mnemonic”, everything was bullpup. Even pistols were adopting a pseudo-bullpup design. Well, that particular future never came to be but I have one now and hope the fun of it promotes more shooting, and so better skills.
My blog has previously featured the details but, to reiterate for those arriving new, I started with an on-sale Palmetto State Armory AR-15 classic lower, toped it with a Foxtrot Mike Products bufferless upper chambered in .223 Wyld, and dropped that into a Taiwanese SRU Precision SARB-15 bullpup kit. (SRU started out making airsoft kits and refined production to adapt to real firearms. If you are looking for discount gun accessories, check the airsoft market. Many of those items are just as capable at a fraction of the price.)
I put this all together last year and can count the times I’ve had it out to the range on one hand, mostly swapping and resighting my optics) so this will be my first time putting it to an actual test in the form of the Cabin Fever Challenge (link)
Before doing the official run, I wanted to fire a string standing to try to work out the most comfortable and stable posture, as that would be the most challenging string. I had picked up a cute 10-round magazine cheap at the last gun show and loaded that up.
It failed me.
While it would seat and lock in place, it would not feed the first round. I needed to be pushing the magazine into the well while actioning the charging handle for it to catch and feed a round. After that first round, the rest seemed to run ok, though.
Glad I did not buy the vendor’s 60-round double stack magazine. I’ll stick to Magpul.
The first string standing felt pretty bad as I was unable to hold steady. I will say that a bullpup is less suited to shooting at range as the shorter length and the center of mass being further back is less stable. I am not happy with the Hera Industries CQR Front Grip for long range as my natural inclination is to tuck my elbow into my side and the front grip wants my arm further out. I had tried without the grip at all and that wasn’t quite right either. I have ordered a Magpul Angled Foregrip which, I hope, will spit the difference in posture.
A sling also helps quite a bit but I think the CFC rules for a “hasty sling” precludes the sling being over my shoulder. I will have to test out other sling configurations.
Shooting kneeling was much better and, while shooting prone was, of course, the most stable, my high mounted optic was a bit of a challenge. I think I may be able to lower my optic by a quarter of an inch to improve the prone sighting posture without sacrificing much of the comfortable cheek weld I get with the higher mount.
Shooting while sitting wasn’t bad. It was probably this and prone that scored me most of my hits.

Ten hits, 14 on the paper, all 20 on the cardboard. 134.55 seconds. ((10 x 5) / 134.55) = 37.16
This was, honestly, better than I was expecting. Especially with how poorly I felt in my standing hold. I do see that my grouping, while pretty wide, still landed inside the area of an IPSC A-zone.
If I can sort out the foregrip and sling issues, I feel I can show significant improvement.
See you, space cowboy.
OK, so that is not (quite) true but having fun certainly encourages one to shoot more and shooting more is one of the tools of better performance. What could be more fun that a cyberpunk bullpup space gun?
I played the R. Talsorian Games “Cyberpunk” back when the corporate-controlled dystopian hellscape was still in the far, far future of six years ago. Back then, bullpup was going to BE that future and from RPGs, to “Ghost in the Shell”, to “Johnny Mnemonic”, everything was bullpup. Even pistols were adopting a pseudo-bullpup design. Well, that particular future never came to be but I have one now and hope the fun of it promotes more shooting, and so better skills.
My blog has previously featured the details but, to reiterate for those arriving new, I started with an on-sale Palmetto State Armory AR-15 classic lower, toped it with a Foxtrot Mike Products bufferless upper chambered in .223 Wyld, and dropped that into a Taiwanese SRU Precision SARB-15 bullpup kit. (SRU started out making airsoft kits and refined production to adapt to real firearms. If you are looking for discount gun accessories, check the airsoft market. Many of those items are just as capable at a fraction of the price.)
I put this all together last year and can count the times I’ve had it out to the range on one hand, mostly swapping and resighting my optics) so this will be my first time putting it to an actual test in the form of the Cabin Fever Challenge (link)
Before doing the official run, I wanted to fire a string standing to try to work out the most comfortable and stable posture, as that would be the most challenging string. I had picked up a cute 10-round magazine cheap at the last gun show and loaded that up.
It failed me.
While it would seat and lock in place, it would not feed the first round. I needed to be pushing the magazine into the well while actioning the charging handle for it to catch and feed a round. After that first round, the rest seemed to run ok, though.
Glad I did not buy the vendor’s 60-round double stack magazine. I’ll stick to Magpul.
The first string standing felt pretty bad as I was unable to hold steady. I will say that a bullpup is less suited to shooting at range as the shorter length and the center of mass being further back is less stable. I am not happy with the Hera Industries CQR Front Grip for long range as my natural inclination is to tuck my elbow into my side and the front grip wants my arm further out. I had tried without the grip at all and that wasn’t quite right either. I have ordered a Magpul Angled Foregrip which, I hope, will spit the difference in posture.
A sling also helps quite a bit but I think the CFC rules for a “hasty sling” precludes the sling being over my shoulder. I will have to test out other sling configurations.
Shooting kneeling was much better and, while shooting prone was, of course, the most stable, my high mounted optic was a bit of a challenge. I think I may be able to lower my optic by a quarter of an inch to improve the prone sighting posture without sacrificing much of the comfortable cheek weld I get with the higher mount.
Shooting while sitting wasn’t bad. It was probably this and prone that scored me most of my hits.

Ten hits, 14 on the paper, all 20 on the cardboard. 134.55 seconds. ((10 x 5) / 134.55) = 37.16
This was, honestly, better than I was expecting. Especially with how poorly I felt in my standing hold. I do see that my grouping, while pretty wide, still landed inside the area of an IPSC A-zone.
If I can sort out the foregrip and sling issues, I feel I can show significant improvement.
See you, space cowboy.