Longstreet Tower
6 July 2026 06:22 pmFear is a strange thing. Case in point, myself.
One time I was riding the Montour Rail Trail, specifically visiting Greer's Viaduct at the then end of the current trail which was set to be refurbished and carry the trail across Chartiers Creek. I wanted to get some pictures of that bridge before that happened.
The bridge had been unused and abandoned. The metal access walkway was rusted through in spots. There were trees growing on and through the wooden ties. It was a death trap and at any time a part might collapse and drop 40 feet to the creek below. And I had absolutely no trouble walking out onto this structure to take pictures. I could look down through holes in the structure to the creek below. No problem.

Parallel to this bridge is another lower track, Bell's Viaduct. This bridge is active rail so that the old wooden ties have been replaced by concrete. It is also only 20 feet above the creek.
And I could not walk out onto that bridge. I was overwhelmed. Almost paralyzed.
For another instance, I had an issue with the gutter of my house and to reach up to the second floor I had a 6 foot folding ladder precariously balanced on top of wooden shipping crate. I was standing on the top rung and holding on to the insulated main electrical line with one hand while I stretched around the corner of the house to fix the gutter.
Yes, it was stupid but I did that. No problem.
But, reaching up to the same gutter using a proper length ladder with someone holding it steady at the bottom so that I could hang lights? That was made of nope. I did it but I hated every second of it.
On my vacation to the Gettysburg Battlefield, there is a National Park Service tower on the southern end of Seminary Ridge, the so-called Longstreet Observation Tower. Built in 1896, it stands 75 feet tall and has wide stairs with railings. Railings all around the platform and a cozy roof. Its stairs are as safe as any staircase in a home or commercial building.
And I could only climb about half way up before I couldn’t any more. I will say that climbing the observation tower at Oak Ridge wasn’t a problem. It is only 23 feet tall but I didn’t have the rising dread with each step. I climbed to the deck atop the Pennsylvania Monument and was fine.
Is it some sort of weird wiring in my brain that makes my fear inversely proportional to the actual or imaginary risk? Maybe if the Longstreet tower were dilapidated and rusted through I would be less stressed.

One time I was riding the Montour Rail Trail, specifically visiting Greer's Viaduct at the then end of the current trail which was set to be refurbished and carry the trail across Chartiers Creek. I wanted to get some pictures of that bridge before that happened.
The bridge had been unused and abandoned. The metal access walkway was rusted through in spots. There were trees growing on and through the wooden ties. It was a death trap and at any time a part might collapse and drop 40 feet to the creek below. And I had absolutely no trouble walking out onto this structure to take pictures. I could look down through holes in the structure to the creek below. No problem.

Parallel to this bridge is another lower track, Bell's Viaduct. This bridge is active rail so that the old wooden ties have been replaced by concrete. It is also only 20 feet above the creek.
And I could not walk out onto that bridge. I was overwhelmed. Almost paralyzed.
For another instance, I had an issue with the gutter of my house and to reach up to the second floor I had a 6 foot folding ladder precariously balanced on top of wooden shipping crate. I was standing on the top rung and holding on to the insulated main electrical line with one hand while I stretched around the corner of the house to fix the gutter.
Yes, it was stupid but I did that. No problem.
But, reaching up to the same gutter using a proper length ladder with someone holding it steady at the bottom so that I could hang lights? That was made of nope. I did it but I hated every second of it.
On my vacation to the Gettysburg Battlefield, there is a National Park Service tower on the southern end of Seminary Ridge, the so-called Longstreet Observation Tower. Built in 1896, it stands 75 feet tall and has wide stairs with railings. Railings all around the platform and a cozy roof. Its stairs are as safe as any staircase in a home or commercial building.
And I could only climb about half way up before I couldn’t any more. I will say that climbing the observation tower at Oak Ridge wasn’t a problem. It is only 23 feet tall but I didn’t have the rising dread with each step. I climbed to the deck atop the Pennsylvania Monument and was fine.
Is it some sort of weird wiring in my brain that makes my fear inversely proportional to the actual or imaginary risk? Maybe if the Longstreet tower were dilapidated and rusted through I would be less stressed.
